Following my letter of the 11th May, the school has been discussing and reviewing how we can safely and effectively manage a phased return to school for a small number of our pupils. Although the Government has given a direction in terms of a phased return starting with specific year groups, special schools do not have to follow this advice and it is up to the Headteacher and Governors to determine how we proceed.
There continues to be an emphasis on minimising risk in schools however certain measures are going to be difficult to implement but it is our intention to manage these risks as best we can within our setting in order to protect our pupils, staff and families.
In an attempt to manage a phased return we have already prioritised pupils where a parent is a Key worker or they have been identified as in need due to current/previous support from other services such as CAMHS or social care. Once we have confirmation of take up from these targeted families, we will have an idea of numbers and whether we need to open an additional site.
Following a meeting with the senior leadership team, we discussed which group of pupils we would target next should we feel we have capacity to do so, (determined by numbers of pupils and enough staff to effectively and safely support).
We have therefore concluded that inviting back pupils who may be able to understand and implement rules around social distancing as well as hygiene routines, would be appropriate.
This doesn’t preclude families from getting in touch with us if they feel that additional support would be appreciated from school and they would like to request a return to school for part of the week. We will endeavour to do our best to assist where we can.
We will contact you at the start of Term 6 if we are able to begin to invite more pupils back into school but please do not hesitate to contact myself or your phase leads (Wendy, Olly Andrew) if you would like to discuss your son/daughter’s provision.
As always, thank you for your ongoing support and understanding in helping us continue to provide a safe learning environment.
Regards, Angie Wellman
11th May 2020
Dear Parents and Carers
No doubt, like us, many of you were awaiting the Government announcement regarding the next phase of easing the lock down in the current situation.
The guidance for all schools regarding the return of pupils continues to be very vague. There is no imminent change to the current situation, and a tentative suggestion for the return of some pupils at the beginning of June, if certain criteria could be met. The guidance that has been produced is not necessarily specific or possible in a Special School context in addressing how we can best support our families move towards a safe return. The notion of children within specific year groups being part of a phased return may not necessarily be the most appropriate or safest method of re-opening the school. As has been the case from the start the primary concern is always around ensuring that we are able to continue to protect our children, staff and families whilst concerns remain around the possible exposure to and contraction of the virus.
I am sure you can appreciate, it is and will be impossible to implement some of the measures suggested for a safe return, primarily around social distancing and therefore there has to be careful consideration of how we can continue to minimise risk and maintain a provision for those who continue to be in need. I know this will also be a critical concern for all of you.
At this stage I am not in a position to answer all the questions you may have and for the moment, along with Governors and the rest of the schools leadership team, I am waiting to receive more information from government and the LA about what last night’s announcement means for our school. In the short-term, nothing has changed and I will of course provide further information in the coming days and weeks once I am able to do so.
I hope you are all able to continue being safe and well
The Blue Camel Club returns on Monday 24th February for a Woodland Rave!
Doors open at 6.30pm - music 7pm - 10pm. The Old Market, 11a Upper Market Street, Hove, BN3 1AS.
For more information call 01273 201801
Head 2 Head Sensory Theatre Pantomine - Aladdin - Saturday 2nd December 11am to be held at our Primary phase.
Call 01372 278021 to book your tickets.